10.03.2011

★ American Gods Comic ★

American Gods Comic by Joe D!
American Gods Comic, a photo by Joe D! on Flickr.
Via Flickr:
My entry for the SuperPunch American Gods ArtJam.

It's the cover for American Gods #1 in the style of Jack Kirby's New Gods. I don't know if it's noticeable, but I'd like to mention that I used the old Chemical Color Chart color pallet and instead of just using Photoshop's Color Half-tone Filter to make that Zip-a-Tone look, I actually separated each color and shade on to separate layers and applied them one at a time (all the tiny blue dots at once, then all the solid yellow, etc.) all trying to mimic the resources and workflow of Jack Kirby. I'm sure I butchered his art style, but it's great to get a look into how things used to be done and a find a new respect for the old masters.

I was only tangentially familiar with American Gods before this project, and after I did some research the American Gods/New Gods mash up idea crept into my head and I couldn't get it out.

If I can find out how, I'll upload the template I made with the historically accurate colors and Zip-a-Tone style process to my site for anyone else who wants to try this method, as well as a tutorial if I have the time. *UPDATE* I probably won't have time.

As usual, this was a blast and a great exercise in creativity. I can't wait to see what SuperPunch comes up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment